Skip to content

Discarded Cigarette Results In Late Night Fire

A discarded cigarette was the cause of a fire that occurred in the 5000 block of Highway 412 West, on February 16, 2022.
Photo Submitted / The Lexington Progress

Article by Chief Lynn Murphy-

At 1:35 a.m. on Wednesday morning, February 16, 2022, Henderson County Fire Stations 1, 2, and 7 were paged to respond to a house fire in the 5000 block of Hwy. 412 W.

The first firefighters to arrive found fire burning up the exterior wall of the front porch. The fire was quickly extinguished saving the home. It was determined the fire originated from a flower pot that was setting up next to the wall. A cigarette had been discarded in the flower pot earlier in the night.

Peat, commonly used in potting soil, is highly flammable. Cigarettes being discarded into flower pots containing peat or…

For the complete article, see the February 23rd edition of The Lexington Progress.

Subscribe Today!

Leave a Comment