Article by W. Clay Crook-
Across from the Lexington Cemetery entrance on Natchez Trace Drive is the old access gate to Dr. Conger’s house, which front’s North Broad Street. Some lot clearing is being done, and to the left of that old back lot entrance is something that resembles a brick well or manhole. The bricks are made from some sort of hard aggregate material, like those older concrete blocks from the 1930’s.
The top has a mortar lip for a round cover but is larger than a typical manhole cover. Cistern or well, one of Roosevelt’s Works Progress Administration (WPA) or Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) projects, or…
For complete coverage, see the March 11th edition of The Lexington Progress.