Beech River Cultural Museum Hosts Post Office Celebration

 

 

Harry Scott and Don Barker enjoy selections out of the post office celebration commemorative book.
Photo by W. Clay Crook / The Lexington Progress.

 

A much-worn postal worker’s hat, decades old and in the bus driver’s style, still sporting its silver badge, was handled with love and care.  Retired postal workers, and friends and family of those long gone, trod again the familiar floors of the post office building that was erected in 1937 and used until 1996. The boxes are no longer there, but the mural depicting the “Progress of Power” from 1939 still gazed over patrons as they formed into the refreshments line.   A celebration of the old post office that now houses our local museum, and the employees that served among her corridors, was a heart touching event.    Put together by retired postal employee Harry Scott, Alderman Sandra Wood, Mayor David Jowers, and Museum Curator Dian McGuire, the memories of the men and women who were once part of the daily life of Lexington were fondly recalled.  As Scott spoke, the tears that caught his own eye were mirrored by others in the crowd.     Mr. Harry put together a…

For the complete story and additional photographs, see the June 14th edition of The Lexington Progress.

Subscribe Today!

Leave a Comment